Request for Proposal (RFP) for Grant Writer
- Submit your application to: email@example.com
KBOO Community Radio requests proposals for a grant writer to provide ongoing grant writing services and proposal/application support to the organization on a contractual basis. Applications will be considered from both firms and individuals.
KBOO is an independent, member-supported, non-commercial, volunteer-powered community radio station. KBOO embodies equitable social change, shares knowledge, and fosters creativity by delivering locally rooted and diverse music, culture, news, and opinions, with a commitment to the voices of oppressed and underserved communities.
In 2016 KBOO’s community developed a 3-year strategic plan which highlighted KBOO’s vision for 2017-2020 to become Oregon’s community media hub, leveraging the power of the airwaves to support a revolution for a just and sustainable future. KBOO will achieve this through the pursuit of these three strategic goals:
- By 2020, KBOO has deepened its internal and external connections to build “the Beloved Community.”
- By 2020, KBOO has strengthened its internal systems to live its mission and core values more effectively.
- By 2020, KBOO’s dynamic programming better serves and engages the local community to connect us with the broader world.
Read the detailed plan online https://www.kboo.fm/2017-2020strategicplan
Scope of Work
KBOO’s grant portfolio currently includes grant funds from governments (local/state/federal), corporate entities, private charitable foundations, and family foundations. The contracted work will include grant proposal/application for renewals of our existing grants and also the identification and proposal development for new sources of funding.
KBOO is seeking a grant writer or firm with a proven track record in writing successful complex proposals from diverse funding sources; skills in demographic data collection and analysis; and an entrepreneurial approach to fund development. Previous experience working in the philanthropic landscape of the Portland metropolitan area is preferred. Previous personal or professional experiences working with community media organizations and with communities of color are a plus.
The Grant Writer will work closely with the Development Director, who is charged with the visioning, creation and implementation of KBOO’s fundraising and development plan, with support from the KBOO revenue operating team (comprised of Development Director, Membership Coordinator, Underwriting Coordinator and the Finance Coordinator and Station Manager).
The Consultant’s responsibilities will include:
- Understanding and actively engaging in the successful implementation of the organization’s fundraising and development plan
- Management of annual renewal grant processes (currently- approximately 5 grants) and grants calendar
- Ongoing Grant prospect research (grant writer will receive support from development director, revenue operating team and management in identifying new prospects)
- Consistent and clear communication with management about grant prospects, proposal and reporting requirements, and deadlines
- Regular collection and analysis of demographic and other important program-related data to enhance and advance the organization’s needs statement and proposals
- Development and maintenance of grant templates and materials
- Professional and confidential management of grant records, organizational documents and data.
Hours dedicated to the project can range between 25-40 hours per month, depending on the grant cycle.
- All Proposals should be submitted electronically in PDF or Word to:
- Proposals have a 10-page maximum. For ease of reading use 1.5 spacing and 12-point font size.
Those responding to this RFP must follow its procedures and requirements. Failure to comply with or complete any part of this RFP may result in rejection of the proposal.
- All proposals must include
- A cover letter describing experience and qualifications of the consultant
- The resume of the principal grant writer providing direct service for this project. Describe in detail your experience writing and submitting government, corporate, private foundation grants. Clear Demonstration that the consultant has familiarity/ knowledge of Community Media or Community Radio, KBOO, anti-oppression and equity work.
- A narrative that addresses how the Scope of Work, as outlined above, will be accomplished, including a schedule with benchmarks and the estimated number of hours required to accomplish the responsibilities.
- An excerpt from a grant you have written that is representative of your writing style. The excerpt should not exceed 5 pages and should not contain any confidential or proprietary information.
- Three (3) references from clients/organizations for whom the consultant has performed similar services.
Compensation and Invoicing
This is a one year contract for a total of 200 hours compensated at $25/h.
Billing will happen on a monthly basis.
Terms and Conditions
The successful contractor may be awarded a short-term professional services contract for the services identified in this RFP and in the proposal to the contractor. Issuance of this RFP does not commit KBOO to award a contract or to pay any costs incurred in preparation of proposals responding to the RFP.