Please submit resume and cover letter with the answer to the question "Why is KBOO Important" by March 11th, 2019 11:59 pm (Deadline extended!) to firstname.lastname@example.org
or mail/bring your resume and cover letter to: Station Manager 20 SE 8th Ave. Portland OR 97214
KBOO Community Radio Department: Operations
Job Title: Chief Engineer
Reports to: Station Manager Employment
Hours: 40 hours per week
Positions Supervised: Live Events Engineer, IT Systems Admin Contractor, Transmitter / Translator / STL / EAS Contractor, and Volunteers
Revised: January 2019
General Description: To oversee and maintain the technical operation of KBOO’s studios, its transmitters and translators at an optimum level.
- Broadcast engineering and electronic experience necessary.
- Ability to work with, train and assist a diverse group of people and the ability to explain technical matters to non-technical beginners.
- Experience in installation, modification, maintenance and repair of broadcasting equipment, including but not limited to: CD players, digital audio equipment, cassette recorders, computer hardware and software, audio mixers, microphones and telephone systems.
- Driver’s license and vehicle for travel to transmitter / translator sites.
- Ability to improvise and achieve results with materials and resources on-hand.
- Knowledge and experience working with analog and digital equipment.
- Computer skills.
- Identify and address institutional and individual acts of oppression at KBOO. Ensure there is interruption of the oppression, follow-up and support for those impacted as well as documentation/record keeping of the incident.
- Work to implement KBOO’s affirmative action policy in recruiting, training and maintaining volunteers.
- Maintain signal and audio quality.
- Act as Chief Operator in maintaining FCC logs and required documentation.
- Maintain broadcasting equipment in good working order, including studio equipment and system phones, transmitters and translators.
- Coordinate with staff for the station’s audio equipment and studio needs, including purchasing and soliciting bids.
- Supervise the IT/Systems Admin Contractor.
- Supervise the Transmitter / Translator / STL / EAS Contractor.
- Supervise and provide support and backup for Live Events Engineer.
- Work with other staff to coordinate training for engineering volunteers.
- Guaranteed 24-hour emergency engineering support for the station, either in person or by delegation to qualified engineering volunteers and contract engineers.
- Coordinate with staff to plan and implement engineering budget, including long-term strategic planning for engineering needs.
- Coordinate facilities maintenance at tower and translator sites.
- Participate in engineering projects as assigned by station manager (i.e. production room remodels).
- Oversee engineering aspects of new transmitters / translators (i.e. planning and project implementation).
- Lead/staff the engineering committee meetings. Generate agendas each month and ensure there are committee minutes that are put up on the web within 5 days of the meeting.
- Attend technology operating team and staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Keep KBOO in compliance with FCC rules and regulations relating to engineering and technical issues.
This is a full-time position with a starting salary $31,426.38/year. The employee shall be eligible for annual step increases subject to conditions in KBOO’s Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Any person hired will be required to join and pay dues to CWA Local 7901 after 90 days. There is a six month probationary period. This period is not to be construed as a contract.
Benefits include medical and dental coverage, disability and life insurance, and credit union eligibility. This position also offers paid vacation, sick leave, and 11 paid holidays per year, in accordance with KBOO’s Collective Bargaining Agreement. FSLA-exempt employees receive paid compensatory time off. Eligibility for the pension plan is one year after the date of hire.
KBOO has over 150 hours per week of local programming, produced by volunteers who need to be trained on studio equipment. KBOO is a union shop and all (non-management) staff are members of Communications Workers of America (CWA) - Local 7901. All employees are expected to provide time to answer questions and to help volunteers learn. The engineer is called upon on a daily basis to help volunteers with using the studios and equipment. The engineer conducts workshops to train people as engineering volunteers. The engineer will work, coordinate efforts, and learn from contract engineers on special projects. KBOO’s environment is hectic and stimulating. You must enjoy working with a wide diversity of volunteers.
We have an air studio, three production rooms, multiple digital editing stations, and other rooms used for live public affairs and music. The engineer’s office also doubles as a workshop and contains some of the transmission and phone equipment. We have two STL’s (station links) to our tower with main and backup transmitters.
There are other engineers in Portland with a wide range of experience, both volunteers and contract hires, which you may work with and learn from.
KBOO has regular membership drives. They require an intense amount of time and coordination. The engineer must provide technical assistance as necessary during these drives.
Workplace expectations at KBOO radio include: effective verbal and written communications; conflict de-escalation; skillful volunteer relations and utilization; capable project management; work-area organization; response to phone calls and correspondence; teamwork and cooperation with other employees, volunteers, and Board members; furtherance of KBOO mission, goals and values; meeting attendance and participation; capable departmental budgeting; and punctuality.
KBOO equipment ranges from vintage analog audio player/recorders, 40-year old transmitters and mixing consoles to state of the art, networked digital broadcast consoles. There is heavy usage of all this equipment. You must repair as necessary and ascertain the need for new purchases within a somewhat limited budget.
KBOO is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, Women and People of Color are encouraged to apply. Discrimination because of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender presentation, class, creed, physical or mental disability is prohibited.